SEO Tips For Local Contractors And Tradies
Getting a first-page Google ranking shouldn’t be a struggle, but if you’re unsure how the whole process works, you might encounter some difficulties. Here at Get More Traffic, we work closely with businesses to help improve their online presence, increase traffic and leads to their websites, and see results in sustainable and quality growth. At Get More Traffic, we often work with contractors from across Australia and New Zealand looking to increase leads through Google Ads and search engine optimisation (SEO). So, to get you started, we’ve developed the ultimate guide to contractor SEO and chock-filled it full of useful tips and tricks to get you on your way to becoming an SEO superstar with a front-page google ranking.
So Then, What Is Contractor SEO?
In short, SEO for contractors involves improving (or sometimes making from scratch) websites to move up their Google ranking. It is essentially an online promotion of your business using marketing strategies on-page and off-page (a process known as backlinking). But it’s more than just going through and tidying up your website. SEO specialists will use specific marketing techniques and spread keywords or keyphrases throughout your website to help Google quickly identify what you’re promoting or advertising to your consumers. Alright, but how will this help me as a contractor bring traffic to my website? We are so glad you asked. Jump to the next paragraph to find out.
How SEO Can Help Contractors Increase Traffic To Their Website
Implementing SEO strategies builds trust with Google. Google is more intelligent than most people realise, and if your site feels uncredible, the search engine will leave it behind. Techniques like backlinking and strategic keyword use tell Google’s crawlers that you’re reliable and here to stay.
Helps keep you competitive. Have you ever trusted a contractor you found on the second, third, fourth, or even fifth page of Google? Better yet, have you ever ventured to any of those pages, or do you stick with the first page results? If you answered yes to the latter, then you’re among the majority of Google users. Implementing SEO strategies to your website helps you get seen by more consumers and results in additional traffic and conversions.
Gives your company a longer shelf life. Traffic tends to slow after a campaign is over, but keeping on top of your SEO strategies keeps it relevant and accessible.
SEO brings the clients to you. In the long term, SEO helps consumers come to you. Gone are the days of letter dropping or advertising in the newspaper or yellow pages. Instead, optimise your website and have your next client come right to you.
10 Tips To Assist Contractors With Search Engine Optimisation
- Keep it local with Google My Business. Google My Business (GMB) is a great resource to help you become more visible and credible online, and the best part is it’s free! It lists you as a business local to your area and tells clients who you are and what you do. GMB also allows consumers to review products and services, giving others an insight into how you run your business. Any reviews are good; 5-star reviews are better. They tell audiences that you’re a credible contractor and can potentially increase traffic to your business.
- Quality content and use of keywords or keyphrases. As we mentioned early, Google is more intelligent than you think, and it knows when content isn’t up to par. Having quality, informative content that contains keywords specific to your business allows Google’s crawlers to effectively trawl your website and help it to appear within the top ten search results.
- Online presence. You’ve got to engage with your clients online. Respond to their reviews, upload regular content to your socials. Google knows when you’ve been inactive.
- Make sure your site is user-friendly. Having a mobile phone on hand means more people have access to the internet than ever before. Speak to your website developers to ensure that your site is compatible with all devices, not the just computer.
- Keeping relevant and up to date. Time moves quickly, especially in the age of social media and internet trends. So it’s important to keep your website optimised and up to date with all the relevant information. This could look like adding your recently won awards to your site, introducing new and improved equipment, missions, values, or even a complete rebrand if necessary. The most important takeaway should be that consistency is key. Staying up to date assures clients that you know what you’re doing and that you do it well.
- Backlinking. Backlinking is precisely what it sounds like. It’s creating links on your website that link back to other credible sources. For contractors, this might look like backlinking to your supplier’s website or to another source that can offer credibility to what your business stands for. At Get More Traffic, we have spent years building relationships with credible sources, ensuring our clients provide theirs with honest and reliable information.
- Track leads. This is a big one. Tracking your leads allows you to understand who your clients are and where they are from and enables you to identify trends in your leads, informing your campaigns, ads, services, etc.
- Know who your target audience is and what they want. This will help you decide which content is best for your website and where it should be targeted. For example, if you’re a contractor for a building company but only work with commercial businesses, then SEO specialists can ensure your website targets that specific audience. This can happen at a keyword level. Say you want to appear on Google for ‘commercial construction Sydney’ instead of ‘builder sydney’. Having ‘commercial construction Sydney’ as your primary keyword ensures you will attract clients seeking commercial construction services instead of more residential works.
- Leverage your landing pages. What’s a landing page, you ask? At Get More Traffic, we prefer to call them Go!Pages. A Go!Page is a single webpage designed to convert visitors into leads. Often they are tailored to a particular service (or services) of your choice and are designed to bring more traffic to your business. Go!Pages can be altered or cloned to accommodate your individual needs. We often include testimonials and a map of your business location to further add credibility. They are fantastic for growing your client base, increasing brand awareness, and providing an excellent insight into how your business is performing online.
- Getting local contractor SEO tips from the Get More Traffic team. Operating for five years (two of those through a global pandemic), we really get SEO and understand how crucial optimisation is to businesses across Australia and New Zealand. We’ve built our business on being able to help others grow theirs, so if you’re looking for experts in SEO for tradesmen, get in touch with us at Get More Traffic today.
Make The Most Out Of Your SEO With The Specialists At Get More Traffic
Is your website a highway at peak hour? Because boy, you’ll be getting a lot of traffic with the help of our digital marketing experts. We’re passionate about helping businesses all over Australia harness the power of SEO and SEM to take their sales to the next level. If you’re ready to give traffic to your website the green light and learn how to optimise your Google Shopping feed, contact the team at Get More Traffic today!